Search This Blog

Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Anne Frank House




On Wednesday, the day before we flew back to Lagos, we went to he Anne Frank house. Amsterdam is the place she went into hiding during WWII. Her story really is amazing. She and her family hid in the back of her father's business building with four other Jewish people. Her father decided to go into hiding because her older sister received a notice in the mail to report for a special work project. Her father knew that was probably a death sentence, so he took the family into hiding. I knew the family went into hiding, but I had no idea how many other people risked their lives to help them, also. I couldn't believe that was walking through the rooms that eight people spent two entire years of their lives in without ever going outside for fear of being discovered by the Nazis and arrested. In the end, they were discovered and taken off to concentration camps. Only Anne's father survived, and had her diary published. I could not imagine how he must have felt. It really made me think about my own life and how blessed I am to have my family with me and not have to fear going outside like the Frank family must have felt. I realized that Nigeria is not so bad...and maybe one day I will think of it as home.

No comments:

Post a Comment