Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2011

Demorial Day

Today is one of those days that I am torn between two countries celebrating two different holidays.  I thought I could combine the two and just call it Demorial Day and be done with it.:)

In Nigeria, today was a holiday called Democracy Day.  I know, most of you may be thinking Democracy Day????  It was the day that Nigerians remember Chief Olusegun Obasanjo becoming the elected President in 1999 after 16 years of military rule. Hence the name, Democracy Day.  Yesterday, President Goodluck Jonathan was sworn into office as the president of Nigeria along with all the other elected officials from the elections in April.  I do hope that Goodluck Jonathan can bring some "good luck" to the people of Nigeria.  I hope that he can start to bring an end to the rich becoming so rich they don't even know what to do with their money and an end to the poor becoming totally destitute.  That would be something to see here in this country!:)

In the U.S., today is Memorial Day.  Thank you to all of our U.S. military for fighting for us to have true democracy (including my brother, Andrew, who is currently serving in the Navy and stationed in Abu Dhabi).  Now that I think about it, the reasons for these two holidays aren't so different from each other after all.  The military in the U.S. has fought for democracy and freedom for over 200 years for the U.S.  Today is the day we sit back and reflect on those who have fought so hard for us.  Have a wonderful Memorial Day, and for any of you having a "good old American" cook out, please have a juicy burger for me....that is one thing I just can't seem to find here in Lagos.:)  Happy Memorial Day to you all!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment