Search This Blog

Monday, January 24, 2011

You Are Welcome!















"You are welcome!" was a phrase I heard alot from many of the Nigerians I saw today around our compound. I know I wrote about it when I first arived here, but it always strikes me so funny to hear them say that. I immediately want to ask them" Did I say thank you?" but, the phrase literally means " YOU are WELCOME" as in "welcome back". The kids and I did indeed arrive back to the "Centre of Excellence" ( as you can see by the license plate on our car) last night.
I do have to say that with the exception of a DEF CON 4 meltdown at the security line in San Francisco ( Elizabeth, not me) the kids did a really good job on the flights back over here. The seat I had which attached to my carry on was absolutely a life saver with Elizabeth. It worked so well that i was just planning on rolling her right onto the plane in Atlanta to go to Lagos. My plan was foiled when the gate agents told all the passengers they would have to check all roller bags for the flight. I am still trying to figure that one out...but can't come up with a rational or logical conclusion. I always prepare myself for the craziness which ensues when we land in Lagos...I was unprepared for the craziness to begin before we even boarded the plane. So, I had to unhook the "ride on carry on" and carry it ( in my hands ) onto the plane while my roller bag was checked...other than that...that seat was a lifesaver!!!!:)






Just a few pictures of the kids at the airport.:)




The kids were so excited when they both received wings from one of the pilots when we got off the plane.:) ( My head strong Elizabeth didn't want to model her wings for us... but Jeremy was way too excited to show them off). Just wanted to let you know that we did make it back...and am experiencing a little jet lag. The only way I can get over jet lag is to get up at the regular local time and get through the day (without thinking that California time is 9 hours behind Lagos...which makes it only 11:50 a.m. there right now...but enough about that...) So, I got Jeremyand Elizabeth up and got Jeremy to school, and unpacked my 6 fifty pound bags.:) I think I am tired enough to go to bed...I just hope my body also agrees.:) So, with that, I will say," E Kaale!" ( Good night in Yoruba) :)

1 comment:

  1. I am sure today is rough in many ways. Give yourself a break (or a glass of wine) As my dad always would say to me, "YOU DONE GOOD" Glad you made it home!

    ReplyDelete