Search This Blog

Monday, January 17, 2011

Why I Don't Drive in Nigeria...

Yesterday, my dad showed me an article in "The Economist" magazine. It was an article detailing the most dangerous countries in the world to drive in. It incorporated data collected from 2007 (not sure where the data is from 2008, 2009, and 2010) but I am sure the data is pretty much the same or worse from the driving I have observed. It states that Nigeria is the third most dangerous country in the world to drive in ( because of the crazy okadas and people's lack of paying attention to simple road signs I am sure) behind Kenya and South Africa. Per 100,000 vehicles Kenya had 374 deaths, South Africa had 174 deaths and Nigeria had 60 deaths. The following countries in the top 9 were Russia, Brazil, United States, France, Germany, and Britain in that order. It is funny when I tell people I have a driver in Nigeria, and sometimes people look at me like it is something really special. ALL the expats have drivers. I knew it was dangerous to drive there...but until I read that article, I really didn't understand it was that bad. I did drive myself and the kids to a soccer game one Saturday last year ( when guy was gone on a business trip...and he wasn't too happy I did that) because I couldn't stand not being able to drive myself anywhere when I am there, but I really don't think I will be trying anything like that again...I think I will leave the driving to Fatai.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment