Search This Blog

Friday, August 7, 2009

Am I Crazy???







After my morning shower escapade, I was off to my first pantry sale. When an expat family is going to move back to the U.S. they usually have a Pantry Sale. The sale consists of anything and everything they don't have to ship back to the U.S. ( Since when they get back, they won't have to stockpile everything like we do here.) I got an e-mail about the sale that said it started at 9 a.m. I decided that I didn't want to get there too early because I didn't want to look to desperate. ( I was really wanting the Ziploc bags I saw on the e-mail that the lady was selling. We have been out for a few days and Happiness has been rinsing them out.) Anyway, Fatai drove me to the pantry sale and I arrived at about 9:25 a.m. I couldn't believe when I walked into the lady's apartment that almost everything was picked through. I quickly learned that you actually have to arrive before the sale in order to get in and get the truly coveted items like hand soap and Ziplocs.:) It is amazing , really nice ladies will completely transform their personalities and act like mother cubs protecting their young. Don't even look in the direction of a woman who has an armload of wet wipes or Ziploc bags...you will get a look that could kill! I did manage to get some wet wipes ( The other lady didn't see the other packs), some cleaning things and a few various other things, though. ( Don't worry about the Ziplocs for me, though. A lady living in my compound gave me a box of hers...God bless her!!)
As soon as I was back in my car on the way home, I could feel the tension going away. I realized that the next time I go to one of these things, I need to have a poker face and arrive at the crack of dawn.:) When we were driving home, the traffic was getting a little heavier. The little motorcycles, okadas (as they are called here in Lagos) ,are always weaving in and out of traffic. They are literally millimeters from the doors of the cars they are passing. Not only that, but the cars are so close to each other that I could roll my window down and feel the engine of the car next to mine. Combine that with the the street vendors weaving in between cars along with the okadas. They sell anything from toilet seats to action figures...you name it...they probably sell it. ( Yes, I really have seen them selling toilet seats in the middle of traffic.) I realized just how crazy this city really is. Which makes me wonder, does Nigeria make one crazy or do crazy people move to Nigeria???:)

No comments:

Post a Comment