Search This Blog

Friday, February 24, 2012

The "Haves" and the "Have Nots"

Something that has been on my mind since the very first time I came to Lagos is the sharp divide between the "Haves" and the Have nots". I see it every day on the streets as I go to school with Elizabeth in the morning. The hawkers who are out selling recharge cards for the phones and the women selling bread along the road. Then, there are the Jaguars and the Mercedes and the Prada and Gucci purses and the Jimmy Choo heels. There are HUGE birthday parties complete with D.J's and [party favors which are better than even the gifts given themselves. The government officials who are making and spending millions of naira while many people live on only two dollars a day.   I am not talking about the contrast between expats and local Nigerians. I am talking about the divide between Nigerians themselves. Although the population of middle class in Nigeria is rising, the difference is in plain site everyday. And, to tell you the truth, it is something which makes my insides feel squirmy and a tinge of guilt go through my mind every. single. day. I don't have Jimmy Choos or Prada handbags (and most likely never will...much to Guy's delight!!), but I do know what it feels like to not have to worry about where my next meal will come from. I am not claiming to be an expert, and I know that there are many "have nots" in the U.S., but I guess I didn't see them all the time...right outside my door....or outside my car...
I've never been in a place where people from the same place...the same country...have such a huge divide in the way they live..... I can see it right outside my window...
man selling fruit from a cart...


Nigerian compound with 13 cars!!!!!! right off the same street as the man with the cart..


yep...a Porsche

who knows what's under there??










I don't really know exactly what I'm trying to say...maybe I am just trying to give you an idea of the struggle inside my head every. single. day.  Maybe it's why I keep giving my driver chance after chance when I know I probably should have fired him a long time ago.  Who am I to take away the salary we give him when he is only doing things he has done his entire life to survive in a place where it is rare that people help one another succeed?  But, where do I draw the line? How long do I keep giving money to people I know are lying to my face, but just can't help it??? Is it even right to give it anyway just because I can??? After all, I am better off than they are, right?? I keep asking myself these questions.   Why was I so "lucky" to have been born into a life not having to lie and steal to make sure I could have money to eat at night?

This struggle will continue in my head long after we leave Lagos and for years to come.  I don't want to forget what I see here every day which is why I write this blog.  But, maybe in the years to come, the huge divide between the" haves" and the" have nots" of Nigeria will become smaller...

No comments:

Post a Comment