Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Back to the Beach

Well, at least to the beach school.:) I had to take a picture of this shipwreck that was on the way to the beach. It is crazy how so many ships are left to rot in the water here.:)


Here are a few pictures of some of the students at the school. They are always so excited to see all of us when we come out. They have such beautiful smiles to welcome us to their school.

The Foundation is starting a Pen Pal program with some students in the U.S. to write to the children at the beach school. It was really fun putting my "teacher cap" back on to teach the students about where the U.S. is and where Nigeria is. We read one of the letters from the students in the U.S. and talked about what the children at the beach school would like to tell the children in the U.S. Then, we talked about the parts of a letter and how to put it together. I can't wait to pick the letters up when we go back and send the letters off to the children in the U.S.:)
Recess time! It is so amazing to me to see the boys kick the ball barefoot in the sand. They are really fast. It was a really great trip out to the beach with all the members of the foundation. It does say in the book "Nigerian Gems (which we sell to raise money for the Ishahayi Beach School Foundation) that in Nigeria , education is still thought of as a privilege. It is strange to even think that way coming from the U.S. I think many times, we take education for granted. We think of it as a right. I have to count my blessings I was born in the U.S. There is so much need here in Nigeria, and sometimes I really feel overwhelmed with what I can do to help. But, today was one of those days that I really felt like I am helping here...even if it is in a very small way.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment