Search This Blog

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Never...

I have been thinking about writing this post for a little while now...I think about it everyday when I am in the car driving by and looking at all the interesting things happening outside my window. A few weeks ago, I started thinking to myself all the things I never thought I would do...and I came to realize that I have changed... at least a little...some for good and some not so good...since I have moved here. And, as I was thinking about these things, the word "Never" kept entering into my mind...

I never thought I would see a giant Avocado.

I never thought I would see a small baby ride an okada.

I never thought I could ever witness such destitution and helplessness.

I never thought would see grown men riding around on skateboards because their legs were so shriveled and crippled.

I never thought I would ever look away from someone who was begging for something..anything I could give them.

I never thought I would ever teach teachers basic first aid.

I never thought I would ever leave my children an ocean away from me.

I never thought I would have my own personal staff.

I never thought I would come to think of my stewardess, Happiness, like a member of my family.

I never thought I would ever sit in a room with a person from Colombia, Sweden, Argentina, England, and South Africa all together at the same time.

I never thought I would teach beach school children how to compose a letter to write back to the U.S.

I never thought I would ever walk away from a vendor and not buy something over the difference of 100 naira.

I never thought I wouldn't believe things a Nigerian man tells me.

I never thought I would live in a third world country.

I never thought I would live on the continent of Africa.

I think living here has changed me a bit. I have to say, some of the things I am not so proud of, and alot of the time I feel terrible that I can't help everyone I see on the street. I guess the old saying is right...you should never say "never".


No comments:

Post a Comment