Search This Blog

Friday, June 25, 2010

Things we Haven't done in a while...







I was watching the kids play outside in my parents lawn in the sprinkler. It occurred to me that I played in the sprinkler a lot during the summer when I was little. I realized that part of the reason my kids loved it so much was because it was so different for them. Right next to them was a beautiful pool at my parents' home, but they prefer to run around in ice cold water from the hose because it is something they don't get to do in Nigeria since we have an apartment and no real lawn to play on. I started thinking of all the other little things they have been able to do since we got here. It was fun to see Elizabeth sit on the piano stool at my mom's baby grand piano which my grandfather, mother and I had all sat on while we played, and now she is "playing". Since we don't have a piano ( at least not yet) it is something the kids love to do when we are here. Today, my mom and I took the kids to the park and had a picnic. I couldn't remember the last time I had taken the kids on a picnic. I know it had to have been before we moved to Nigeria. It is just so hot and humid there all the time ( yes, even worse than Houston) that it is no fun to even eat outside. Don't get me wrong, I think our experience in Nigeria is teaching us so much and giving us so many opportunities we would never have had without living there. But, there is something to be said to see your children enjoying little things which you also enjoyed when you were little. One of my worries when we were moving to Nigeria was how their childhoods would be diffrent from my own. Would it be a good or bad experience???Even though their world has changed a great deal from when I was little, it is very heartwarming to see that some things remain the same.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment