Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Secret to Living in Nigeria

I think I have discovered one of the many secrets to living in Nigeria ( I am not sure what the other secrets may be). Anyone who knows me also knows how I thrive on routine and having a schedule for everything. It was a way I think I felt I had some kind of control over my life. In Houston, most of the time I could get everything done that I had planned on doing. Somehow (miraculously) most of the time, I was able to take care of everything throughout the day ( cleaning, laundry, kids, errands, etc.). For some reason, while I have been here, I find myself tired all the time, and I haven't been able to figure out why. I have my stewardess/cook/nanny to do the cleaning, cooking and help with the kids. I have a driver to take me places. Yet, still the day seems to go right past and leave me wondering what happened....not to mention how tired I feel here all the time. But, now I think I know why I have felt so tired. I am trying to do everything I used to do in a day , but I am in a third world country. Even with help, the smallest things can be the biggest head aches. Last week, I stopped at the grocery store after picking Jeremy up from school to get some juice. I am not kidding when I tell you we were stuck in gridlocked traffic for an hour and half...and all I had to show for it was three boxes of juice!!! That is when it kind of hit me. One of the secrets to living in Nigeria is not to expect to get so much done in a day. This secret has been good for me in a strange way. I am learning how to go more with the flow and learn that things can change very quickly around here....and letting go a little bit of the control I thought I had in my day. Maybe that is why most Nigerians don't really think about what will happen tomorrow...they only worry about today. Thank goodness for the help I have because I can't imagine dragging Elizabeth and Jeremy all around Lagos in the traffic...not to mention me driving the streets of Lagos!!!! Now that is a scary thought!:) Talk about not having control over anything!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment