Search This Blog

Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Harmattan is Coming...




Can you see it in the pictures? It kind of looks like a fog or a haze. You can't quite see the ocean anymore from my front doorstep. What is Harmattan you may ask? Well, according to Wikipedia online it is "a dry, dusty West African trade wind which blows from the Sahara into the Gulf of Guinea between the end of November and the middle of March. When it blows hard, it can push dust all the way to North America." Yes, that's right, it is dust and sand blowing in from the Sahara desert. I guess that is the technical definition, but to me it is a pain that will be here until the early spring. It is causing Elizabeth to have yet another runny nose and cough (ugh!) She has really developed some allergies since we moved here. But, on the other hand, who would have thought that I could walk out on my patio and step in dust from the Sahara Desert?

No comments:

Post a Comment