Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Arriving in Nigeria




We arrived in Lagos on Saturday, July 25 at about 5 p.m. I had been here once before in March, so I knew pretty much what to expect. I was glad that I did because I was more prepared with my kids with me. We got off the airplane and immediately the heat and humidity could be felt. Right away, a Nigerian man said " You are welcome." As if i said thank you to him. but, I soon found out that is how Nigerians greet people. They mean you are welcome in their country. We walked down the long corridor to the customs officers. The airport is not very big...so we had to wait in a huge line for them to stamp our passports. Finally, we went to get our bags. I am not exaggerating....THREE hours later, we had our bags. The kids were doing really well until the last 20 minutes or so. They were hungry and living on goldfish crackers. They were tired and I was, too. I just wanted to sit on the floor of the airport and have a melt down with Elizabeth, too.:) We got all of our bags together...it took four guys and me pushing the stroller with the kids to go out the doors and walk to the bus that would take us to our compound. Outside the airport , it is completely crazy. I saw so many people sitting around in lawn chairs and they were cooking something in trashcans that were on fire. I have no idea what it was. We got into the bus, and Jeremy said "Cool, the windows are covered". He opened up the curtain and saw the armed police man getting into the front vehicle and the other armed officer getting into the chase vehicle. They were going to lead and follow our bus to our compound. I wish I could have thought it was as cool as Jeremy thought it was. But, what can I say? This is going to be our new life!!!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment