Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Bernice Edna Salinas


Bernice Edna Salinas

October 1999-February 1, 2011

Bernice Edna Salinas a.k.a. The Swamp Dog, passed away today in our flat in Lagos, Nigeria. She was born on the Westbank in New Orleans, Louisiana and rescued by a wonderful woman named Donette. She was found on the side of the road with her mother who had been hit by a car. Donette took her in and gave her her initial vaccinations and took wonderful care of her with her brother and sisters. She was my Valentine's present in 2000. I still remember going out to Donette's house in New Orleans and being so certain that Guy and I were going to bring a little boy dog home. I was very surprised when Bernie and her two sisters were there...no boys. I had only picked out one name...Bernard... I am not sure why..but I really liked that name.:)

Of course, when we met the dogs, our heart melted for Bernice ( I thought I should change the name from my boy name, Bernard). She was so kind and came right up to us and was the sweetest little thing you had ever seen at three months old. We brought her home and she immediately peed on the bed we had bought for her.:) Guy had always said that any dog of his would never sleep in our bed...but that first night...we tried everything. We put her in our bathroom with stuffed toys which had been rubbed on her sisters, a clock for the heartbeat, and a night light...but she whined and cried so much that Guy finally broke down..and that was it...she was in our room and eventually slept with us in our bed... She earned her middle name from our 84 year old next door neighbor in New Orleans, Edna. Edna was a spunky woman who always cared for Bernie. When I would be gone during the day and Bernie was outside,Edna would go outside in her back yard and spray Bernie with her water hose over the fence to make sure Bernie didn't get too hot.:) Edna loved Bernie...so it was only fitting to give her the same middle name.:)
She has been with us for most of our 12 year marriage. She was there when we moved from New Orleans to Houston. She was there with us for our sad times and our happy times.
She was there when we brought both of our children home. She was there for us when we moved from Houston to Lagos. Over the past months, she was battling severe seizures and we tried to increase her medicine....but it wasn't helping. Her back legs were giving out on a daily basis and Guy and I decided that it was just time ...she stopped eating and drinking water over the weekend, and we knew it was time for her to be out of her pain. We spent today with her, and the kids each drew her a picture to put in her casket with her today. Elizabeth said she drew a picture " so, Bernie could take it to heaven." I also enclosed the above pictures to be buried with her ( these pictures were taken by my friend, Lara, in October 2010). The vet came at about 6:30 p.m. tonight and then, she was gone. She was a wonderful friend and companion and her absence will be felt by our family for years to come. Deciding when it was "her time" was one of the hardest decisions Guy and I have ever had to make....but we realized that she was unhappy and it wasn't fair to her. I truly understand how people can fall in love with their dogs...she was our "one in a million" dog and we will miss her with all our hearts.

4 comments:

  1. I am soooo sorry. I am sitting here in tears because I can completely understand your loss and how hard today and the days to come will be. It reminded me so much of "Hoop's" story. I think it is good that you are letting Jeremy and Elizabeth be honest with their pain of losing Bernice too. Take the next few days ONE HOUR AT A TIME!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your loss Meredith. Knowing it was coming soon doesn't make you feel any less pain. Our dogs were our first babies. I'll never forget when we were visiting you in New Orleans and Bernie got her Swamp Dog nickname! You did the right thing even if it wasn't easy. Miss & love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. The pictures are beautiful. I'll be thinking about you guys in the days to come. Love, Candice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meredith, I am so sorry. I'm just hearing about sweet Bernice. I would have written sooner. She was a wonderful dog. Her Christmas letters will live on. Your tribute to her is beautiful, special and so fitting for her. God bless!

    ReplyDelete