Search This Blog

Friday, February 11, 2011

Hidden Gems

Ekaaro! (Good morning) This year, I told myself that I am going to really make an effort to go out and find some different shops here in Lagos. The longer I live here, the more I see that I can find here. The other day I asked Happiness if there were cupcake baking cups at one of the stores. She always looks at me and laughs because I know the look on my face is always shock when she tells me that yes, indeed, you can find that here. When we first moved here, we did not know what to expect. It seemed that there really weren't many things available here that we were used to in the U.S. Although, there are many things you cannot get here ( and need to bring in your annual shipment) there are several "gems" I am discovering here. This is an abandoned government building which will probably be here for 50 more years before anyone decides to do anything with it. Right across the street from it is one of my favorite shops here. The lady who runs it is Nigerian, and she imports things from all over Africa to sell in her shop. She has gorgeous baskets, jewelry and lots of other little treasures. Now that Elizabeth is at school on Ikoyi...I get over there from Victoria Island to pick her up a little early to make sure I don't get stuck in the terrible Lagos traffic. I kill the extra time by going in this shop to browse (buy) and usually spend all the money I brought in my wallet.:) I am sure Guy will be happy to know that!:)
Looking at the building from the outside...you would never know what was inside.

Just a few doors down from that shop was another "find". I was completely thrilled to find the cutest book store!!! I love books...especially childrens' books...so I was way too excited to go inside and look around.


I took a picture from outside the door to the book shop because I didn't buy anything there today. I spent all my money at the other shop and I wasn't sure how the woman inside would feel about me taking a picture of the store without purchasing anything. I never would have thought there was such a nice books tore hidden in this building.
One thing I am still not used to here is bringing a wad of money with you wherever you go ( never use a credit card in Nigeria). Since there is 150 naira to every U.S. dollar ...you can imagine the stack of money you need to take with you just to go to the grocery store here and add the extra cost of importing almost everything here....you get the picture. Needless to say, I am going to have to double my stash of cash in my wallet the next time I come back to these two hidden gems.:)
I will continue to be on the look out for more hidden gems here....you just never know what you may find.:)
Until next time! O Dabo! ( good bye)


No comments:

Post a Comment