Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Lost in Translation

Yesterday, I was riding in the car with Fatai. As we were driving, I was looking out the window at all the interesting things happening: a toddler helping her dad fix an okada, taxi drivers sleeping on mats next to their taxis, a man peeing on the side of the road. But, the most surprising thing came out of Fatai's mouth. He said, "Madame, while you were gone, I had feelings for you." And he smiled at me. I was really surprised at first, but then realized he was trying to tell me he missed me.:) I really shouldn't laugh at all because I only can say good morning, good afternoon and good evening in Yoruba, and he can speak English better than my Yoruba. I thought that maybe I should tell him what his words meant, but then, I thought ( as a smile passed over my face) why take away the smile from another person's face.:) I just said," I missed you, too, Fatai."

No comments:

Post a Comment