Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Regaining my Sanity?!






















For the last six weeks, I have been working with a friend of mine on decorations for a huge event held here in Lagos called Small World ( I had mentioned it in a previous post). This event is a HUGE fundraiser for many charities here in Nigeria. We started off with a decorating committee of about 6 women...but it dwindled down to just my friend and myself. Needless to say, with 27 countries represented and about 2000 people attending the event, we had our work cut out for us!!!:) The two of us had many painting sessions til about midnight or 1 a.m. Last week was the most emotionally and physically exhausting, though. The sun here in Lagos is unforgiving and the heat is almost unbearable. The entire event took place outside, so we were outside everyday last week getting things ready with the other committee members (operations, security, main stage,etc.). Saturday was the actual event and I was actually outside from 7:30 a.m. until 11 p.m. I kept applying sunscreen, but it would sweat right off. My friend and I didn't even take a shower the end of the day. The school where the event was being held said that we could take a shower there, but like so many other places in Nigeria, there was no water and no lights in the shower area when we were going to take a shower. So, we "showered" outside with bottles of bottled water. we were filthy! our skin was covered in dirt an my friend's feet were covered in dirt and mud. We couldn't help but laugh at the whole situation.:) We were so tired, but everything turned out to look beautiful. I just wished I could have enjoyed it a little more...but I was so tired. The Small World event did manage to raise 32 million naira for charity. Now, I need to regain my sanity...I am not sure whether to blame my forgetfulness now on Malarone, exhaustion or both!:) ha ha

No comments:

Post a Comment