Search This Blog

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Gong Xi Fa Cai !!!












It is Chinese New Year's Eve today. Gong Xi Fa Cai !!! ( pronounced "Gung Hay Fat Choy"). Last night, the kids and I were invited to a traditional Chinese New Year Dinner at a local Chinese restaurant. ( Yes, there is a very good Chinese restaurant nearby our compound...if you can believe it.) Guy wasn't able to come with us because he is on a business trip to North Carolina. I wasn't sure what to expect. We met my friend and her three boys at the restaurant and there were so many other friends of hers there as well. It was so fun meeting all the people and there were over 20 children as well. My friend told me it is traditional to have a huge family style meal together. She even brought Jeremy a Chinese outfit from China for the occasion.:) Luckily my very good friend from back in Houston had given me an outfit that had belonged to her daughter...so both kids were dressed for the event. They had so much fun playing with the other children while the adults got to eat ( after the children, of course.) I have to say that the absolute best event of the night was the traditional Lion Dance. The drums and the gong were so neat to hear. Jeremy was fascinated, and I now know of only one thing Elizabeth is scared of....the Lion Dance. After she was in my arms though...she thought it was pretty entertaining.:) We all got to touch the Lion's head at the end to have good luck for the coming year. I wanted to share some pictures with you of the great time we had last night. Gong Xi Fa Cai to you all!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment