Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Jeremy's Field Trip

I bet with a title like that you are expecting to see pictures of Jeremy's first field trip ever. Yes, that is what I was expecting to post also. His class went to a go cart place to culminate their unit on transportation (Yes, there is a place to ride go carts in Lagos...I was surprised, too.) I knew something was up this morning when Guy left for work and walked back in 5 minutes later. He told me that union workers were on strike and they had blocked the front gate (the only way in or out of the compound). So, he went back downstairs to check on the entrance and it had cleared. So, Fatai took him down the street to work. However, Fatai could not get back into the compound. The protesters were blocking the gate and letting no one back in. Needless to say, I had no vehicle to take Jeremy to school. It is just too dangerous to go out on the street here by myself; especially when there is a strike going on. So, Jeremy's class went on the field trip today, and his teacher told me in an e-mail that she would miss him at th field trip. But, if you look on the bright side, what other child can say he missed his first field trip because of a worker strike in Nigeria?:)


No one needs to worry about us, though. We are safe on the compound. I thought you may like to see what the protesting looked like...it is actually quite funny.:)


No comments:

Post a Comment