Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My Latest Acquisitions

I thought I would share my latest acquisition of African art.  I saw these paintings when we were out at the beach last week, and I just had to have them.  I can't explain it, but if you have ever seen a piece of art which "speaks" to you...you know what I mean.:)  I think one of the images which will always stay with me long after I leave this African soil is the image of women carrying things on their heads whether they are working selling things or if it is just Happiness bringing the laundry up from downstairs on her head....it is almost an iconic image of what I see each and every day here.

The paintings I bought are of Hausa women.  For more information on the Hausa tribe click here.  The Hausa tribe is one of three major tribes which inhabit Nigeria. ( The three  main tribes are Hausa, Ibo and Yoruba).  I didn't even know the paintings were of Hausa women until Happiness told me when I showed them to her.  I asked her how she knew and she said it was from the dress of the women in the paintings.  They are wearing "wrappers" as Happiness calls them which are wrap around skirts.  They have an exposed mid section and they are wearing bangle bracelets which she told me are very typical of Hausa culture.  She told me the women are probably carrying a type of custard in their baskets which they make and sell to people...


All of that information is great to know...but to me..they are truly a symbol of Nigeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment